Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lentil Barley Soup

I posted some pictures of my Lentil Barley Soup on my Facebook page yesterday and a few of you asked for the recipe...so here it is:

Lentil Barley Soup
I love this easy soup. When I don't have a dinner plan, this is easy to throw together because we always have these simple ingredients on hand.

9 c. water (or 4 cups veggie broth + 5 cups water)
1½ c. uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed
¾ c. uncooked pearled barley, rinsed
4 ribs celery, sliced
6 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp ground cumin
A handful of chopped greens (kale, spinach, etc…) (optional)
One large tomato, chopped (optional)
The juice of one lemon (optional)

In a large pot, add all ingredients (except greens, tomato, and lemon juice), cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir in chopped green, tomato, and lemon juice. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment